Saturday, April 23, 2011

Do I look like a Ma'am?

Last week I got to verbally abuse a barista at my favorite coffee shop.

The little fucker is new, and replaced my favorite guy. This one keeps calling me "ma'am" and it pisses me off. He manages to say it at least 5 times in a 5 minute period. So today I asked him how old he thought I was. "24?" I told him it was a good answer since I'm almost 30. I told him that being called ma'am makes me feel old and then I want to cry and eat chocolate. I dropped a dollar in the jar and told him that if he ever does it again, that I'm going to stop tipping him.

We chatted a little, then he handed me my coffee and did it AGAIN. He immediately caught himself and said it was habit, and he was sorry. I told him that I was going to jump back there and kick his scrawny little punk ass if he didn't watch it.

Then a lady who was about 50 years old walked in, and I asked her "Do you like it when they call you ma'am?" and she said it bugs the crap out of her.

I'm so awesome.

And yes, I know. He spit in my coffee. It tasted great. Like punk bitch.

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha love it

    I hate being called ma'am... but I also loathe being called Hon by strangers. Especially YOUNGER strangers.... I just don't like for ppl to address me much... teehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have seen the look on his face! He has since started calling me Ms. I've noticed that he's careful to pronounce it as "Miz", probably out of fear of what will happen if he designates me as a Miss or Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get it must be annoying but you don't have to be a bitch about it. You deserved every ounce of that spit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If more people said Ma'am and sir, I'm pretty sure we'd be living in a better place. It is an act of respect. We teach our children to say it out of respect for those they are speaking to. In this day and age, you could get called a lot worse than ma'am by someone you're being rude to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand that it is meant to show respect, but I don't like it. It means the person using it is making assumptions (you're old and married). The more politically correct "Ms." has been around for years. I'm not the only one that feels that way:

    "Usage of "Ma'am" is becoming increasingly uncommon through the rest of the United States and in Western Canada.[citation needed] In the past the term was to be used only for married women, in contrast with "Miss". Many U.S. women object to the use of "Ma'am" or "Miss" as addresses as there is no formal equal address for a younger man in common use. One objection is that "ma'am" qualifies the other as old; another is that it presupposes that the marital status of a woman is of primary importance in how she is addressed and treated." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, I was a little mean to him. He got over it and teases me about it now. Sometimes I tip him extra out of guilt.

    ReplyDelete